What is the course about?
In this short practical workshop you will explore the popular animation technique of animation made famous by animators including Jan Švankmajer and Paul Bush . Through animating found objects and their juxtapositions with other objects you will create exciting transformations and produce dynamic and surprising animated sequences.
What will we cover?
- An awareness of the work of Jan Švankmajer and Paul Bush and their creative use of found objects.
- planning an animated sequence using found objects
- Setting up an HD camera and connecting it to a computer to capture stop motion footage
- Understanding frames and timing
- Animating your objects using iStopMotion
- Exporting the short animated sequence as a movie.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise the work of Jan Švankmajer and Paul Bush and their creative use of found objects
- plan an animated sequence using found objects
- set up an HD camera to capture stop motion footage
- animate your objects using iStopMotion
- export your short sequence as a movie.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the Build uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Our high definition cameras and the latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can further develop your skills and interest in Animation through a range of courses at the Build in animation, cartooning, illustration, digital film and editing courses. You can also enhance your work through a range of sound design courses at Build. You can find the outlines of courses available by entering the subject you’re interested in in the search box of the Build website at http://bildutrapagaran.info/courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details