What is the course about?
On this course you will learn the essential tools and skills for using After Effects to transform your video projects. These include planning the project, organising and preparing the material, masking skills, key framing skills and working with layers. Each week the course takes you through practical exercises to develop these key skills, and you will create your own After Effects project for feedback from the tutor and your peers.
What previous students liked about the course: .
“The course was tailored to my needs. I could ask whatever questions at whatever point, and this enabled me to take in the ideas in my own way.”
“Fast paced and thorough with plenty of time to practise between classes each week.”
“Very knowledgeable teacher and easy going, manner. Clear communication and demonstrations.”
“I liked the comprehensive overview and the fact that we learnt a lot of technical and practical information about the software.”
“The progression of projects was well paced against the progression of skills learned. Well taught in a fun way.”
What will we cover?
- Planning your After Effects project workflow and organising material
- Creative project development
- Preparing your still image and film assets using Photoshop and Media Encoder
- Starting an After Effects project and creating a composition (composition tab)
- Animating transformations on image, video and text layers
- Applying and animating a range of effects
- Working with masks
- Mark-making techniques (paint, eraser, clone tools)
- Working with pre-composed layers
- Camera tracking in After Effects
- 3D settings in After Effects (XYZ controls)
- Keying and compositing in After Effects
- 3D extrusion using Ray trace renderer
- Post-production workflow in After Effects and editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro)
- Exporting techniques and backing-up and archiving After Effects projects.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- plan, prepare and organise your assets for an After Effects project
- create projects and compositions and import assets
- apply and animate a range of 2D and 3D transformations to video, image and text layers
- apply and animate a range of effects to video, image and text layers
- create and animate masks
- apply compositing using keying
- create and animate a camera
- understand the dynamic link between After Effects and Premiere Pro
- render, back-up and archive your project.
What students have achieved on their course:.
““I have achieved more knowledge and confidence in post-production. Now I feel that I can play on my own with After Effects.”
“I’m able to create effects for the static and dynamic elements in the video. I now have an understanding of the software which is crucial for deepening my knowledge.” AD
“The confidence to apply what I’ve learnt in class at home.”
“Learning about masks. This will help me in directing.” SK
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner's level course so you don’t need previous experience in After Effects. However some experience in video editing and a basic understanding of using computers would be helpful for you.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through workshops, short lectures, practical exercises, tutorials and handouts. Please note we will be working on Apple Mac computers.
During the course you will be encouraged to practise at home the techniques you’ve learned. You will be invited to develop your own After Effects project and will be able to get feedback on your project from the tutor and other students.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Our high definition cameras and the latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC-formatted hard drives can be read by Apple Mac computers, but not written to). CDs/DVDs are available.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, Build students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can further develop your skills and interest in digital film making through a range of Build courses, from editing to sound design to animation. Browse the website or prospectus to get inspired.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details